Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Packing Light!

I have never been the type of person that packs only the essentials for any trip. Whether it is an overnight trip to a two week trip I make sure I take everything. To me the essentials include: make-up (all of it), curling iron, straightener, hairspray, gel, mousse, comb, brush, shampoo, conditioner, face wash, and the list goes on... Now that we are traveling as family of three it is a little complicated. We need to take the essentials but still have a free hand to carry our precious boy. When we went to Cancun in January, Kaden was 10 months old. It took hours of organization to make sure we were not forgetting anything critical such as jars of baby food. You can purchase essentials at the local grocery store but we wanted to relax and not have to worry about details like this while on vacation. We are now venturing on an 11 day trip to Florida and even though I am very excited I am spending hours organizing and thinking through every detail.

Since 2007 I have used duct tape to place on my suitcases. I think 80% of the suitcases at an airport are black and since I have all black luggage I needed something to place on my bags. I have seen loofahs on luggage (prior to departure), not sure if they are still in tact; string and ribbon but they never make the trip! Duct tape works wonders, and it is always in place and helps me find me luggage every time. On your next trip make a pit stop at any local store and buy duct tape in any color that your desire. I started off with hot pink and then I found this lovely print.....

Here are four tips for Orlando Florida that I have come across and are very handy:
1. If traveling with a child (stroller age) you can rent a stroller at a very reasonable price through Babies R Us. It may come as a shock but yes you can rent strollers, car seats, high chairs, etc... The cost to rent at Disney World is $15 a day plus a $100 deposit. I was not willing to shell out that kind of cash, not even at the Happiest Place on Earth. Through Babies R Us we are renting a stroller that has been sanitized and comes with food tray and rain cover for only $6 a day!! What a steal! We are also going to need a car seat and since I do not want to carry a car seat through the airport and onto the plane (or worse need to pay to check in the car seat), I opted to rent a car seat too. Ready for the price... $5 a day! The rental car company was going to charge us $15 a day. I am noticing a trend with the amount of $15. If you happen to be in hot spots of Florida and need baby essentials give Babies R Us rentals a try! They will deliver your items to the hotel and will pick them up too, talk about awesome customer service. I have also arranged for them to drop off a pack of diapers (won't be spending an arm and a leg at the convenience store), I am still in shock at how easy this process is!
2. I am a huge fan of guide books, especially Frommers! I read the Guide Book to Walt Disney World from cover to cover and I highlighted everything that is important. This tip is not only good for Florida but for any destination.
3. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Speak to the concierge at your hotel and get acquainted with what is nearby and make the most of your trip. I know I will have more tips once we return.
4. Take advantage of staying at a Disney Hotel or selected partner hotel. By doing so you can take part of the Magic Hours. Certain park(s) open early or extended their evening for you, the special guest. We will be taking a part of this!

We will be ready for the adventure! We leave in two days and the packing is not anywhere close to being done!
Found this adorable tape (Dollar Tree) to distinguish my suitcase.
Let the packing begin! One of the largest suitcases I own.

No comments:

Post a Comment