Friday, March 23, 2012

Tasty Thursday!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Every Thursday I have been making a new recipe. I need to post more often on my blog. Be on the look out for Tasty Thursdays. I never knew tortilla soup could be so easy! If you are reading this and it is early morning head out to the grocery store for this recipe and dinner will be ready in 7 hours (seems like a long time but just throwing everything together and that is it!)

Ingredients
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I always look & see which grocery store has them on sale)
2 cans Ro-Tel (I used original flavor- you can find this in the canned tomato isle)
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 can corn rinsed & drained
2 cans low sodium chicken broth
1 onion chopped
2 cups water
1 tablespoon garlic powder*
1 tablespoon chile powder*
1 tablespoon ground cumin*
1 tablespoon dried cilantro*

Tortilla chips or tortilla strips (I used tri-colored tortilla strips from Fresh & Easy)
Sour cream
Avocado
Shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese (I used Mexican blend)
*Instead of these spices, you could include a packet of Taco seasoning if you prefer* (I used the spices)

Put chopped onion, rinsed & drained beans, Ro-Tel, rinsed & drained corn, chicken broth, water, and spices in Crock Pot and stir to mix. Put chicken breasts on top of mixture and make sure they are at least partly submerged in liquid. Cook on high 6-7 hours or low 8-9 hours. Before serving remove the chicken breasts from soup and shred, if needed, sometimes they fall apart but sometimes they need some help. I flaked mine with a fork. Return chicken to Crock Pot, stir to combine.

Ladle soup, top with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, avocado, and tortilla strips. Enjoy!!


Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup


No comments:

Post a Comment