Saturday, June 29, 2013

Getting out the crafts Chalkboard Edition

The heat is on in southern California and I have to find ways to channel my energy and down time (a mother of a two year old never has down time but for this blog I will say I have some quiet time). I enjoy crafts and when I get an opportunity to work on a craft then I bring out my creativity to its fullest potential. When I was 14, I wanted to make a small shelf near my bed so I could set my glasses on it at night (did not want to crush them). I went to Michael's Arts & Crafts and found an unfinished wood shelf, painted it white and stenciled it with a cute flower design. I need to find it and snap a photo of how far I have come since then. My grandma was very creative and I tell people that is where I got it from. She could envision something and she could make it. My goal is to be able to sew with the sewing machine I am borrowing. I need an instructor or I could teach myself. I can do it! Bring out your creative talents.

This week's craft is all about chalkboards! I know they are coming back and I wanted to make my own. Buying is easy but I wanted a specific color and it came together very well in the end. Pinterest has plenty of ideas to point you in the right direction but everything came together haphazardly. I was at Michael's and saw a beautiful unfinished border on clearance. I saw it and had a vision to turn it into a chalkboard and hang it in my laundry room. Talk about inspiration on isle 12!! I am not one to go to any home improvement store (they actually frighten me for some odd reason), but I needed plywood to complete my project. Here is what I did step by step. Have fun!
Purchased a thin piece of plywood from Lowe's (kindly asked the man to cut it to size). I tapped off the sides so I could paint the border teal (the piece of wood was a tiny bit too big for the opening).

Cute unfinished wood border, for me it was a piece of treasure (ha, not really but I thought it was a steal).

Ready set PAINT! I have never purchased spray paint let alone chalkboard spray paint. I sprayed it once (smooth side of the wood) and let it dry for a good 45 minutes then sprayed it again. [Note: If you don't have smooth wood make sure you sand it first then spray paint it two to three times]

Painting the cute border teal! I needed color in my laundry room and this would be perfect.

Everything was dry so I was ready to glue (Titebond wood glue does wonders)!

Brought out my Cricut to help me with the stenciling and then added my own handwriting! Voila the craft is complete! I am displaying my beautiful new piece of art in my laundry room. Thinking of adding some ribbon and hanging it from that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment